- نشر بتاريخ: الجمعة، 18 كانون2/يناير 2008 00:00
- كتب بواسطة: جاسم مطلق
AlUjari Observatory at the Kuwait Science Club (KSC) (Long: 48 00 06, Lat: 29 16 08) is the largest observatory in Kuwait and the gulf area. It was commissioned in 1986 and was named in the honor of Kuwaiti veteran astronomer Dr. Saleh AlUjari.
By todays standards, and in fact, even in 1986 standards, it is considered a small-to-medium size observatory, housing an equatorial fork mounted base home to two telescopes as illustrated in the image below.
The primary long focal length (6350 mm) telescope is of a Schmidt-Cassegrain design with 50cm diameter mirror. The secondary is a 50 cm wide angle telescope optimized for astrophotography with a focal length of 1700 mm. Three additional 15 cm smaller scopes serve as finder scopes and for solar photography. The total gross weight of the telescopes & mount is reported to be 9 tons.
The observatory is protected by a 7.5m Kirby dome and a 3m wide slit door. A Swiss company (Institute for Computer Assisted Research in Astronomy, Alterswil, Switzerland, or ICARA hereafter), now long defunct, developed and commissioned the observatory. Due to the lack of any insulation materials within the dome, a grave design error overlooked by the Swiss company, the dome turns into an oven in the peak summer heat despite three dedicated air conditioning units that can barely keep up with the inferno outside.